Trending
News

Sokoto Boat Accident: 46 Bodies Recovered as 16 Passengers Remain Missing

46 bodies have been recovered from the Sokoto boat accident, while 16 passengers remain missing as rescue operations continue.

Damilare Adebayo · · 50
Sokoto Boat Accident: 46 Bodies Recovered as 16 Passengers Remain Missing

At least 46 bodies have been recovered following a boat accident in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, with rescue teams continuing efforts to locate 16 passengers still missing.

The incident occurred on Thursday when a boat carrying 77 passengers, including men, women and children, reportedly capsized in the community.

The spokesperson for the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, confirmed that 15 passengers had been rescued alive.

“46 corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons,” Rufai said.

He confirmed that 77 people were on board the boat when the accident occurred.

Rescue operations remain ongoing, with local divers working alongside personnel from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and the police.

The tragedy has plunged Gorau community into mourning, as families await information about relatives who were travelling on the boat.

A resident of the community said the accident occurred on Thursday morning and that local divers immediately began searching the water for survivors and victims.

The cause of the accident had not been established as of the time of filing the report.

Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, expressed sadness over the incident and described it as a devastating tragedy.

Dan’iya said reports indicated that some of those on board were children between the ages of 10 and 15 who were travelling alongside farmers and labourers.

He commended local residents and divers participating in the rescue operation and called on the Sokoto State Government and emergency agencies to deploy additional personnel, medical teams and equipment.

The ADC candidate also urged authorities to ensure proper identification and documentation of victims to assist affected families.

He called for improved safety measures on waterways, including properly regulated boats, life jackets, trained boat operators, emergency equipment and alternative crossings such as bridges.

“This tragedy highlights the urgent need for safer means of transportation for our farming communities,” Dan’iya said.

He extended his condolences to the families of the victims and urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with rescue officials as the operation continues.


Share this story

Comments (0)

  1. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.

Not published.

Related stories