EFCC, ICPC Summon NFF Officials Over N12bn Federal Government Fund
EFCC and ICPC have begun investigating the utilisation of the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund released to the NFF.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) have commenced investigations into the utilisation of the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for players’ wages, allowances and bonuses.
The fund was approved by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in 2024 to clear outstanding payments owed to Nigeria’s national teams and their coaches.
A source familiar with the investigation said some officials connected to the fund had been invited by the anti-corruption agencies and had provided statements.
“They have been under our radar before now. We invited some officials over to our offices, and they gave their statements. Presently, they are on administrative bail. We have not ended our investigation,” the source said.
The development emerged after the NFF declined a request for access to financial records and utilisation documents relating to the intervention fund.
In a letter dated August 18, 2026, and signed on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, Onoja Joshua, the federation said it could not release the requested documents because the matter was already under investigation by the EFCC and ICPC.
The request was reportedly made under the Freedom of Information Act and sought details of the financial records and utilisation of the N12bn.
The Federal Government had announced the approval of the funds in January 2024, stating that the money would settle up to 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to coaches of the senior national team, alongside allowances and other payments due to the Super Eagles, Super Falcons and U-20 national teams.
Despite the intervention, complaints over unpaid allowances and bonuses have persisted.
In November 2025, Super Eagles players reportedly boycotted training in Morocco ahead of their 2026 World Cup play-off against Gabon over outstanding allowances dating back several years.
Members of Nigeria’s U-20 team have also previously raised concerns over unpaid qualification bonuses and camp allowances.
The latest investigation comes amid increasing scrutiny of the administration of Nigerian football and the leadership of NFF President Ibrahim Gusau, who is seeking another term at the federation’s planned September 27 elective congress.
The EFCC and ICPC had not publicly provided detailed comments on the investigation as of the time of filing this report.
Related stories
News
Nigeria’s Oil Reserves No Longer Enough to Win Investors — PENGASSAN
PENGASSAN warns Nigeria can no longer rely on its huge oil reserves to attract investors, urging competitive policies, security and regulatory stability.
News
Alleged Drug Trafficking: FBI Explains Why Tinubu’s Records Can’t Be Released
FBI asks US court to allow it to withhold portions of records linked to an old Tinubu investigation, citing security and investigative concerns.
News
Terrorist Attacks: Northern Senators Demand Urgent Action on State Police Bill
Northern senators demand urgent action on State Police Bill following deadly terrorist attacks in Adamawa and Sokoto States.
News
ICPC Begins Inspection of N2.06bn Constituency Projects in Bauchi
ICPC begins inspection of 29 constituency projects worth N2.06bn in Bauchi to verify execution, spending and compliance with specifications.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.