Seat of Caliphate Under Threat, Stop Sokoto Killings — MURIC to Defence Minister
MURIC has urged the Defence Minister to urgently halt killings and kidnappings in Sokoto, warning that the seat of the Caliphate is under threat.
The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has called on the Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (retd.), to urgently mobilise resources and manpower to halt the rising killings, kidnappings and other violent crimes across the country, particularly in Sokoto State.
MURIC made the call in a statement issued on Saturday by its Executive Director, Professor Isiaq Akintola.
The group expressed concern over the recent killings of innocent residents in Sokoto, warning that the state was increasingly coming under siege as insecurity disrupts the lives and livelihoods of residents.
Akintola said farmers were becoming afraid to access their farms, while some villagers had been forced to seek safety outside their communities.
He added that residents in urban areas were also living in fear and sleeping “with one eye open” because of the worsening security situation.
“Killings and kidnappings around Nigeria have continued unabated. The level of insecurity has risen to an all-time high,” Akintola said.
He noted that terrorist activities had been particularly concentrated in Sokoto State over the past two years, describing the development as a serious threat to both national security and residents.
According to him, attacks in Sokoto have implications beyond the immediate communities affected because the state is historically regarded as the seat of the Nigerian Caliphate.
He argued that the continued attacks exposed weaknesses in the country’s security architecture and questioned the ability of security agencies to adequately protect citizens.
“We therefore hold the Nigerian Army responsible for the security lapses in and around Sokoto. We expect nothing less than an iron-clad defence mechanism in that axis,” he said.
MURIC urged the Defence Minister to take decisive action to restore security and prevent further loss of lives.
Related stories
News
Canada Imposes Fresh Tariffs on US as Trade Talks Collapse
Canada has announced retaliatory tariffs against the United States after failed trade talks, escalating tensions between the two North American allies.
News
Delta Aide Offers UBA Employee N500,000, VIP Trip After Elumelu Controversy
A Delta governor’s aide has offered a viral UBA staff member ₦500,000, an ambassadorial role and a VIP trip to Asaba following her exchange with Tony Elumelu.
News
Adeleke Welcomes Oyebamiji’s Call for Peace After Osun Election
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has welcomed the call for peace by his APC opponent, Bola Oyebamiji, following the governorship election. Adeleke urged all stakeholders to put the election behind them and work together for the progress of the state.
News
US Open Announces Record $108m Prize Fund
The US Open will offer a record $108 million prize fund for the 2026 tournament, a 20 per cent increase from last year. The singles champions will each receive $5.5 million, while first-round losers will earn $140,000.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.