World No. 1 Sinner Pulls Out of US Open With Injury
World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the 2026 US Open due to a persistent right knee injury. The Italian, who won Wimbledon in July and the US Open in 2024, said he needs more time to recover.
World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the 2026 US Open due to a right knee injury, ruling him out of the final Grand Slam tournament of the season.
The 24-year-old Italian confirmed his decision on Friday, saying he had been unable to recover sufficiently despite working with his team and medical staff.
Sinner said he had resumed training in Monte Carlo but realised that he still needed more time to recover from the knee problem.
“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart,” Sinner said, expressing his disappointment at missing the tournament.
The five-time Grand Slam champion has not played competitively since winning Wimbledon on July 12. His knee injury also forced him to withdraw from the Canadian Open and Cincinnati Open, two key hard-court tournaments ahead of the US Open.
Sinner won the US Open in 2024 before finishing runner-up to Carlos Alcaraz in last year’s final.
His withdrawal is a major blow to the tournament, particularly after Alcaraz confirmed on Thursday that he would return to competitive action at Flushing Meadows following a four-month absence caused by a right wrist injury.
Sinner has enjoyed an outstanding 2026 season, compiling a 44-3 record and winning six titles, including Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome and Wimbledon.
The 2026 US Open is scheduled to begin on Aug. 30 in New York.
Related stories
News
Govs, Ministers, Monarchs, Others Grace Olu of Warri’s Fifth Coronation Anniversary
Governors, ministers, traditional rulers and other dignitaries attended the fifth coronation anniversary of the Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse III. The anniversary attracted prominent figures from across Nigeria and featured celebrations honouring the monarch’s reign and contributions to the development of the Warri Kingdom.
News
Insecurity, Political Violence Biggest Threats to Nigeria’s 2027 Elections — IRI
The International Republican Institute (IRI) has identified insecurity and political violence as the biggest threats to the credibility and peaceful conduct of Nigeria’s 2027 general elections. The institute also highlighted misinformation, disinformation, electoral reforms and weak political-party structures as issues requiring attention ahead of the polls.
News
Chile Unveils Online Work Permit Verification for Foreign Workers
Chile’s National Immigration Service has introduced a free digital Work Authorisation Certificate that allows foreign workers and employers to verify work authorisation online. The certificate is available through SERMIG’s immigration platform and includes a QR code for digital verification.
News
Boat Tragedy, ADC Gov Candidate Decries Rising Insecurity, Deaths in Sokoto
ADC governorship candidate Manir Muhammad Dan’iya has decried the rising deaths and insecurity in Sokoto State, saying more than 100 people may have died in separate incidents over the past 10 days. He cited bandit attacks and the Gorau boat tragedy, where the reported death toll had risen to 53, and called for urgent government action.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.