Trending
News

Ndume Urges Military to Intensify Efforts to Rescue Borno Abductees

Senator Ali Ndume has urged the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to rescue schoolchildren and other victims abducted from communities in Southern Borno, some of whom have spent more than 100 days in captivity. He made the appeal during a visit to the Theatre Command, Operation Hadin Kai, in Maiduguri, while commending the military for its ongoing counter-insurgency efforts.

Daniel Momodu · · 6
Ndume Urges Military to Intensify Efforts to Rescue Borno Abductees

Senator representing Borno South, Ali Ndume, has urged the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to rescue schoolchildren and other victims abducted from communities across Southern Borno.

Ndume made the appeal on Wednesday during a visit to the Headquarters of the Theatre Command, North-East Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai, in Maiduguri.

He said some of the abducted victims had spent more than 100 days away from their families, creating anxiety among relatives and communities.

The senator specifically called for intensified efforts to rescue schoolchildren abducted from Mussa and Lassa communities in Askira/Uba Local Government Area, passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and remaining victims from Ngoshe in Gwoza Local Government Area.

Ndume commended the military for its sustained efforts in combating insurgency but said the prolonged captivity of the victims required greater urgency.

He said his appeal was not intended to undermine the military’s efforts, but reflected his responsibility as a representative to continue raising the concerns of his constituents.

He also commended the coordination and synergy among security agencies in the fight against insurgency, describing them as major factors behind recent operational gains.

Responding, the Theatre Commander, Maj.-Gen. Abubakar Abdulsalam, thanked Ndume for the visit and assured him that the concerns raised had been noted.

Abdulsalam reaffirmed the commitment of the military and other security agencies to ongoing operations aimed at protecting communities, stabilising affected areas and facilitating the safe return of displaced residents.

The PUNCH reported that 42 pupils were abducted from Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School on May 15, while 36 students and one teacher were abducted from Government Day Secondary School, Lassa, on June 29, bringing the reported number of abducted students from the two incidents to 78.

Share this story

Comments (0)

  1. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.

Not published.

Related stories

FG Won’t Publish Details of $5bn Abu Dhabi Loan, Says Oyedele News

FG Won’t Publish Details of $5bn Abu Dhabi Loan, Says Oyedele

Finance Minister Taiwo Oyedele says the Federal Government will not publish specific details of how it plans to spend funds drawn from its $5 billion financing facility with First Abu Dhabi Bank. He said the facility was approved by the National Assembly and structured primarily to refinance more expensive debt. The government has already drawn about $1.5 billion from the facility.

Aug 20, 2026
2027 Christian Group Cautions Politicians Against Ethnic, Religious Campaigns News

2027 Christian Group Cautions Politicians Against Ethnic, Religious Campaigns

A Christian group has cautioned Nigerian politicians against using ethnicity and religion to campaign ahead of the 2027 general elections. The group urged political actors to focus on issues, competence and policies capable of addressing the country’s challenges rather than exploiting religious or ethnic divisions.

Aug 20, 2026
Edo Deputy Gov Gifts Student N1m for Top WASSCE Performance News

Edo Deputy Gov Gifts Student N1m for Top WASSCE Performance

Edo State Deputy Governor Dennis Idahosa has rewarded Delight Amayaenvbo with N1 million after the student recorded straight As in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). Idahosa said the gesture was meant to recognise the student’s achievement and encourage other young people to pursue academic excellence.

Aug 20, 2026
Oyedele Faults Nigerians for Attacking World Bank Over Loans News

Oyedele Faults Nigerians for Attacking World Bank Over Loans

Finance Minister Taiwo Oyedele has criticised Nigerians who attacked the World Bank on social media over its loans to Nigeria, saying the criticism reflected a lack of understanding of how the institution operates. He said the World Bank eventually disabled comments on its social media account after Nigerians posted abusive messages about its decision to lend to the country.

Aug 20, 2026