Trending
News

FG Won’t Publish Details of $5bn Abu Dhabi Loan, Says Oyedele

Finance Minister Taiwo Oyedele says the Federal Government will not publish specific details of how it plans to spend funds drawn from its $5 billion financing facility with First Abu Dhabi Bank. He said the facility was approved by the National Assembly and structured primarily to refinance more expensive debt. The government has already drawn about $1.5 billion from the facility.

Daniel Momodu · · 7
FG Won’t Publish Details of $5bn Abu Dhabi Loan, Says Oyedele

The Federal Government says it will not publish specific details of how it plans to spend funds drawn from its $5 billion financing facility with First Abu Dhabi Bank.

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed this on Wednesday during a media briefing in Abuja.

Oyedele said the facility had been subjected to unnecessary scrutiny, stressing that it was approved by the National Assembly and structured to help the government refinance more expensive debt.

The Federal Government recently drew about $1.5 billion, representing the first tranche of the $5 billion Total Return Swap facility arranged with First Abu Dhabi Bank.

The facility was approved by the National Assembly on March 31, 2026, with the initial drawdown expected to support the 2026 budget, infrastructure projects and refinancing of existing debt obligations.

Responding to questions on whether details of the transaction would be made public, Oyedele said the government would provide information on its overall expenditure but would not publish specific details on the Abu Dhabi facility.

“We will not publish how we are spending it. We will publish how we spend government money. There’s nothing special about that loan,” he said.

The minister’s comments come amid concerns raised by the International Monetary Fund and Fitch Ratings over the transparency and risks associated with the financing structure.

Oyedele, however, defended the transaction, maintaining that the facility was part of the Federal Government’s broader debt-management strategy.

Share this story

Comments (0)

  1. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.

Not published.

Related stories

2027 Christian Group Cautions Politicians Against Ethnic, Religious Campaigns News

2027 Christian Group Cautions Politicians Against Ethnic, Religious Campaigns

A Christian group has cautioned Nigerian politicians against using ethnicity and religion to campaign ahead of the 2027 general elections. The group urged political actors to focus on issues, competence and policies capable of addressing the country’s challenges rather than exploiting religious or ethnic divisions.

Aug 20, 2026
Ndume Urges Military to Intensify Efforts to Rescue Borno Abductees News

Ndume Urges Military to Intensify Efforts to Rescue Borno Abductees

Senator Ali Ndume has urged the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to rescue schoolchildren and other victims abducted from communities in Southern Borno, some of whom have spent more than 100 days in captivity. He made the appeal during a visit to the Theatre Command, Operation Hadin Kai, in Maiduguri, while commending the military for its ongoing counter-insurgency efforts.

Aug 20, 2026
Edo Deputy Gov Gifts Student N1m for Top WASSCE Performance News

Edo Deputy Gov Gifts Student N1m for Top WASSCE Performance

Edo State Deputy Governor Dennis Idahosa has rewarded Delight Amayaenvbo with N1 million after the student recorded straight As in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). Idahosa said the gesture was meant to recognise the student’s achievement and encourage other young people to pursue academic excellence.

Aug 20, 2026
Oyedele Faults Nigerians for Attacking World Bank Over Loans News

Oyedele Faults Nigerians for Attacking World Bank Over Loans

Finance Minister Taiwo Oyedele has criticised Nigerians who attacked the World Bank on social media over its loans to Nigeria, saying the criticism reflected a lack of understanding of how the institution operates. He said the World Bank eventually disabled comments on its social media account after Nigerians posted abusive messages about its decision to lend to the country.

Aug 20, 2026