Trending
Politics

Osun Shooting: ‘Davido Was Targeted’ — Police Confirm One Dead

Police say Davido was allegedly targeted during Osogbo palace incident as 60-year-old resident died from gunshot wounds.

Damilare Adebayo · · 46
Osun Shooting: ‘Davido Was Targeted’ — Police Confirm One Dead

The Osun State Police Command has disclosed that Nigerian music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was allegedly targeted during Wednesday’s shooting incident involving Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo.

The incident occurred during Governor Adeleke’s visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, shortly after he received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission.

Davido, who is the governor’s nephew, had accompanied Adeleke and his children to the INEC office before they proceeded to the palace of the traditional ruler.

According to the Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, preliminary investigations indicated that suspected members of the Eye Confraternity allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido during the visit.

Ojelabi identified one of the suspects as Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged,” whom he described as an ex-convict and alleged member of the cult group.

The police spokesman said Taoreed allegedly attempted to approach Davido but was stopped by members of the musician’s security team.

He explained that the confrontation subsequently attracted other suspected gang members in the area.

“The ensuing confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed the movement of the convoy of the governor,” Ojelabi said.

The police said the governor’s convoy eventually left the area safely following the confrontation.

However, the incident later escalated, with suspected gang members allegedly moving towards the Itaolokan area of Osogbo.

The police confirmed that a 60-year-old resident, identified as Tajudeen Yusuf, was shot during the ensuing violence.

Yusuf was reportedly rushed to a hospital for medical attention but later died from his injuries.

The command said it had commenced an investigation into the incident and intensified efforts to identify and apprehend those responsible.

The development has heightened concerns over political violence in Osun State following the governorship election.

The Accord Party had previously alleged that more than 28 people were killed by suspected political thugs during the election period.

The All Progressives Congress, however, rejected the allegation and accused the Accord Party of sponsoring violence that resulted in the deaths of some of its members.

The latest incident has further raised concerns about security during and after political activities in the state, with the police urging residents to remain calm and cooperate with ongoing investigations.


Share this story

Comments (0)

  1. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.

Not published.

Related stories