DSS Warns of Planned Terrorist, Bandit Attacks on Sokoto Tertiary Institutions
DSS alerts Sokoto authorities to planned terrorist and bandit attacks targeting tertiary institutions, students and staff across the state.
The Department of State Services, DSS, Sokoto State Command, has warned of intelligence indicating plans by terrorist and bandit groups to attack tertiary institutions across the state.
The warning was contained in a security alert dated July 18, 2026, addressed to the Sokoto State Government and signed on behalf of the State Director of Security, B. Abdulaziz.
In the alert titled “Planned Attack on Tertiary Institutions by Terrorist and Bandit Gangs,” the DSS said criminal groups were shifting their attention from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions.
According to the Service, tertiary institutions could be targeted because of the large concentration of students, academic and non-academic staff, as well as their family members.
The DSS warned that such attacks could expose members of the university community to abduction and other forms of violence.
It also cautioned that attacks on tertiary institutions could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and undermine the safety of students and staff.
The security agency therefore called for an immediate review and strengthening of security measures around universities and other tertiary institutions across Sokoto State.
It urged relevant security and emergency response agencies to intensify preventive measures and ensure adequate protection for students, staff and educational facilities.
The DSS said the relevant security agencies had already been alerted to the intelligence and urged them to take necessary steps to prevent any planned attack.
The Service also called on the Sokoto State Government to coordinate with security agencies and other stakeholders to strengthen security around tertiary institutions.
The latest warning comes amid persistent security concerns in parts of Sokoto State and other areas of northern Nigeria, where terrorist and bandit groups have been linked to attacks, abductions and displacement.
The DSS urged authorities and institutional managements to remain vigilant and strengthen existing security arrangements in response to the emerging threat.
It stressed the importance of coordinated action among the state government, security agencies and educational institutions to prevent attacks and safeguard lives and property.
The Service did not disclose the specific institutions allegedly targeted or provide details on the groups behind the reported plans.
Authorities are expected to intensify security measures around tertiary institutions across the state following the alert.
Related stories
News
Borno Abductions: Parents Fear for Children’s Lives Nearly 100 Days in Captivity
Borno schoolchildren have spent nearly 100 days in captivity, with parents pleading with Tinubu to urgently secure their safe release.
News
“I Don’t Subscribe to Oyinbo Life” — Elumelu Schools Lady for Calling Him by First Name
Tony Elumelu corrects young graduate for addressing him by first name during UBA ceremony, sparking debate online.
News
Illegal Small Arms Major Cause of Insecurity, Banditry, Terrorism in Nigeria — NSA Ribadu
Ribadu says illegal small arms fuel insecurity across Nigeria, urging updated data and stronger measures to control weapons proliferation.
News
Google Unveils 12-Month Free AI Offer for Nigerian Students
Google offers eligible Nigerian tertiary students free 12-month AI Plus access, providing advanced tools for learning and research.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.