Trending
News

Abuja Flooding: Mass Demolition Begins After Wike’s Order

FCT begins demolishing structures on Abuja waterways after Wike orders enforcement to tackle flooding and restore natural drainage channels.

Damilare Adebayo · · 51
Abuja Flooding: Mass Demolition Begins After Wike’s Order

The Federal Capital Territory Administration has commenced the demolition of houses and other structures built on designated waterways and flood channels across Abuja.

The enforcement exercise began on Tuesday in Maitama, shortly after the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, ordered the immediate removal of structures obstructing natural water passages in the capital.

Tractors were deployed to demolish some of the identified structures as officials from the FCT Department of Development Control began implementing the directive.

Wike gave the order after inspecting areas affected by recent flooding in Maitama District. He directed the Development Control Department to identify structures built on natural waterways and remove them without regard to the status of their owners.

The minister said properties belonging to politicians and other influential individuals would not be exempted from the exercise.

“I’m going to bring those structures down. Any house that fell on the water channel will go down,” Wike said.

He directed officials to commence enforcement immediately, warning against attempts to delay or avoid the demolition process.

According to the minister, the exercise would continue regardless of political considerations, including the approach of the 2027 general elections.

“Whether there is election or no election, all those houses will go down. Heaven will not fall; rather, heaven will be at peace that the right thing has been done,” he said.

Wike said the recent flooding had exposed longstanding violations of Abuja’s master plan, particularly the construction of buildings along designated drainage routes.

He argued that the fact that some structures had previously survived without major incidents did not mean they were safe from future flooding.

The minister also ordered the immediate desilting of blocked drainage channels in affected areas as part of measures to reduce flood risks.

He announced that the FCT Administration would accelerate infrastructure projects, including the Lokogoma road project, to improve the capital’s resilience to flooding.

Wike attributed the flooding partly to climate change and heavy rainfall but identified illegal construction on waterways, weak enforcement of building regulations and indiscriminate waste disposal as major contributing factors.

He urged residents to support the government’s urban renewal efforts and properly dispose of waste to prevent drainage channels and manholes from becoming blocked.

The minister also denied allegations that the FCT Administration had allocated designated waterways for estate development.

Wike challenged those making such claims to provide specific evidence, insisting that the administration does not allocate water channels for construction.

He maintained that officials of the FCT Administration understand the city’s master plan and would enforce regulations to protect natural drainage routes.


Share this story

Comments (0)

  1. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.

Not published.

Related stories

Monaco Release Pogba After Injury-Plagued Spell News

Monaco Release Pogba After Injury-Plagued Spell

AS Monaco have mutually agreed to terminate Paul Pogba’s contract after just one season at the French club. The 33-year-old made only six appearances, totalling 115 minutes, as recurring injuries limited his return from an 18-month doping ban.

Aug 19, 2026
Musiala Reassures Fans After Neurological Diagnosis News

Musiala Reassures Fans After Neurological Diagnosis

Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala has reassured fans that he is doing well after being diagnosed with brief, temporary absence seizures linked to a neurological dysfunction. The 23-year-old said the condition is treatable, that he is receiving specialist medical care and that neurological experts have cleared him to continue playing football.

Aug 19, 2026
Tokyo Opposes US Sanctions on Japanese ICC Chief News

Tokyo Opposes US Sanctions on Japanese ICC Chief

Japan has opposed US sanctions imposed on International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane, describing the measures as “very unfortunate”. Tokyo reaffirmed its support for the ICC and its efforts to prosecute serious international crimes and uphold the rule of law.

Aug 19, 2026