24 Killed, Many Injured in Fresh Plateau Attack
At least 24 people were killed in a fresh gunmen attack on Binper community, Mangu, Plateau State.
At least 24 people have been killed and several others injured after gunmen attacked Binper community in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Residents said the attackers invaded the community between Monday night and the early hours of Tuesday, moving from house to house and attacking residents who were asleep.
An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said heavily armed men forced their way into homes and attacked occupants. He said more than 24 deaths had been confirmed, while several residents sustained serious injuries and others remained missing.
Another resident, John Dalyop, described the attack as devastating and called on security agencies to urgently apprehend those responsible.
He urged the state and federal governments to strengthen security around vulnerable communities in Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.
The Mwaghavul Youth Movement also confirmed the attack, putting the death toll at 24. The group said several residents were injured, while homes were reportedly set ablaze and farmlands destroyed.
Its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Sunday, expressed grief and anger over the incident, warning that repeated attacks were threatening both the safety and livelihoods of residents, many of whom depend on farming.
Women from Bin-Per community subsequently staged a peaceful protest over the killings, carrying leaves as they marched through the area and called for urgent government intervention.
One of the protesters, Ladi Joshua, said the community had been devastated by the loss of husbands, children, relatives and other loved ones.
Meanwhile, the 24 victims were reportedly given a mass burial, while injured residents continued receiving treatment at hospitals.
Governor Caleb Mutfwang directed security agencies to intensify surveillance and patrols in the affected community and other vulnerable areas.
The governor, through the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, condemned the attack and described it as a disturbing development capable of undermining the peace being consolidated in the state.
The attack has also drawn international attention, with US Congressman Riley Moore urging Washington to retain Nigeria’s Country of Particular Concern designation, citing continuing killings in the Middle Belt.
Related stories
News
Monaco Release Pogba After Injury-Plagued Spell
AS Monaco have mutually agreed to terminate Paul Pogba’s contract after just one season at the French club. The 33-year-old made only six appearances, totalling 115 minutes, as recurring injuries limited his return from an 18-month doping ban.
News
Musiala Reassures Fans After Neurological Diagnosis
Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala has reassured fans that he is doing well after being diagnosed with brief, temporary absence seizures linked to a neurological dysfunction. The 23-year-old said the condition is treatable, that he is receiving specialist medical care and that neurological experts have cleared him to continue playing football.
News
Tokyo Opposes US Sanctions on Japanese ICC Chief
Japan has opposed US sanctions imposed on International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane, describing the measures as “very unfortunate”. Tokyo reaffirmed its support for the ICC and its efforts to prosecute serious international crimes and uphold the rule of law.
News
Osun’s Renewable Energy Policies Earn Adeleke Top Award
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has received a Green Leadership Award in recognition of his administration’s efforts to promote climate action, renewable energy, environmental sustainability and a green economy in the state.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.