Oyo Suspends Excursions, Inter-School Activities Over Insecurity
The Oyo State Government has suspended school excursions, sports competitions and all external school activities following rising insecurity and the recent abduction of students and teachers in Oriire LGA.
The Oyo State Government has suspended all school excursions, field trips, sports competitions and other activities outside school premises following growing insecurity in the state.
The directive comes days after the deadly abduction attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where several students and teachers were kidnapped and remain in captivity.
The order, issued by the state Ministry of Education, takes immediate effect and overrides all previously approved school trips and external activities.
In a circular dated May 22, 2026, and signed by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, B.T. Oyinloye, the government said the decision was necessary due to recent security concerns across the state.
According to the circular, all school administrators have been directed to immediately suspend activities requiring students to leave school premises until further notice.
“In view of the recent security concerns, the Ministry is taking steps to safeguard the lives of students and members of staff in all schools in Oyo State,” the statement read.
The ministry stressed that the safety of students and school staff remains a top priority above academic and extracurricular activities.
School authorities were also instructed to ensure students remain within school premises during school hours and to promptly report any suspicious movement or activities around schools to security agencies.
The circular further noted that the directive would remain in force pending improvement in the security situation across the state.
The order was circulated to key education stakeholders, including the Executive Chairmen of TESCOM and SUBEB, Tutor-Generals, Zonal Directors, principals, head teachers and Local Inspectors of Education across Oyo State.
The government’s decision follows growing fears among parents and residents over the safety of students and teachers after the recent coordinated attack on schools in Ogbomoso and surrounding communities.
Concerns have continued to mount over rising insecurity and the vulnerability of schools, especially in rural areas of the state.
Related stories
News
Ebonyi Will Give 95% Votes to Tinubu in 2027 Presidential Election — Umahi
David Umahi says Ebonyi State will deliver 95% of its votes to President Bola Tinubu in 2027, citing ongoing federal projects and increased inclusion of the South-East.
News
I Helped Tinubu Become President But Peter Obi Is Phenomenon — Fayemi
Kayode Fayemi says he helped President Bola Tinubu become president in 2023 while describing Peter Obi as a political phenomenon that reshaped Nigeria’s electoral landscape.
News
Ogun to Empower 100,000 Residents Through Monthly Cash Intervention Scheme
Governor Dapo Abiodun says Ogun State will launch a monthly cash intervention programme targeting up to 100,000 residents as part of efforts to improve welfare and economic opportunities.
News
NAFDAC Burns Fake Drugs, Banned Alcohol Worth N1.8bn in Abuja
NAFDAC has destroyed fake drugs, banned sachet alcohol and other unsafe products worth over N1.8 billion in Abuja as part of efforts to prevent counterfeit goods from re-entering the market.
Comments (0)
Be the first to share your thoughts.
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.