Trending
News

Jonathan Has Bought 2027 PDP Presidential Form — Party Chieftain

Jonathan Has Bought 2027 PDP Presidential Form — Party Chieftain

Damilare Adebayo · · 6

A former presidential aide and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Umar Sani, has claimed that former President Goodluck Jonathan has already purchased a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 general elections.


Sani, who previously served as Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to former Vice President Namadi Sambo, made the assertion on Tuesday during an interview on Trust TV.


His remarks have further intensified speculation over Jonathan’s possible political comeback, nearly 12 years after leaving office as Nigeria’s president in 2015.


Jonathan has not publicly declared any presidential ambition nor confirmed the platform under which he may contest, but ongoing consultations across political circles have continued to fuel political discussions around his potential return.


Sani said internal challenges within the PDP may be influencing the former president’s cautious approach to formally declaring his interest, but insisted that his actions already reflect political intent.


According to him, Jonathan’s reported acquisition of the nomination form is a key indicator of his readiness to re-enter the presidential race.


“The issue is not about whether we will extract commitment from him. What is most important in politics is action. If your action suggests you are interested, there are certain steps that follow. One of which is the procurement of the nomination form,” Sani said.


“He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly.”


The PDP chieftain also dismissed suggestions that Jonathan’s supporters are merely using his name for political relevance, insisting that there is strong public nostalgia for his administration.


He added that many Nigerians are still emotionally attached to Jonathan due to perceptions of stability during his time in office.


Sani further expressed confidence that legal challenges questioning Jonathan’s eligibility to contest again would fail, arguing that the matter has already been settled by the courts.


He maintained that only the Supreme Court could overturn any existing judicial position, and predicted that the pending case before Justice Peter Lifu would likely be dismissed on jurisdictional grounds when it comes up on May 26.


Jonathan, who served as president from 2010 to 2015, lost his re-election bid to the late Muhammadu Buhari and has since remained largely active in diplomatic and mediation roles across Africa, while staying away from frontline partisan politics.


Share this story

Comments (0)

Be the first to share your thoughts.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.

Not published.

Related stories