Trending
News

DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Far From Being Under Control, WHO Warns

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is far from being under control, with the disease spreading faster than previous Ebola outbreaks and posing a high risk of further national and international transmission.

Daniel Momodu · · 1
DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Far From Being Under Control, WHO Warns


The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is far from being under control, with the disease spreading at an unprecedented rate.

WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, issued the warning on Tuesday during an emergency meeting on the outbreak.

Tedros said the epidemic was moving faster than any previous Ebola outbreak and that the risk of further national and international spread remained high.

He said response efforts were struggling to keep pace with the spread of the virus, stressing the need for stronger international support and faster interventions.

The outbreak has so far affected several provinces in the DRC, including areas close to the border with South Sudan, while neighbouring Uganda has also reported cases.

The situation has been particularly severe in Ituri Province, which has emerged as the epicentre of the outbreak.

According to the WHO and Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, thousands of confirmed cases and deaths have been recorded since the outbreak began, with health authorities facing challenges including insecurity, misinformation, inadequate infrastructure and shortages of essential medical supplies.

The WHO chief urged countries and international partners to strengthen surveillance, contact tracing, community engagement and other measures needed to interrupt transmission.

He also stressed the importance of ensuring that affected communities trust and participate in the response, saying community cooperation remained critical to containing the virus.

The warning comes after Uganda declared its Ebola outbreak over on July 28, following 20 confirmed cases and two deaths.

WHO and Africa CDC officials said Uganda's experience demonstrated that early detection, rapid contact tracing and strong community engagement could help bring Ebola outbreaks under control.

However, they warned that the situation in the DRC remained significantly more challenging.

The agencies called for sustained funding and coordinated international support to help the Congolese authorities contain the outbreak and prevent it from spreading to additional countries.

Share this story

Comments (0)

  1. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.

Not published.

Related stories

Ogogo’s Daughter Debunks Death Rumour News

Ogogo’s Daughter Debunks Death Rumour

The daughter of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has debunked reports claiming that the actor has died, describing the reports as false and urging the public to stop spreading fake news. The clarification comes as the actor continues to battle stage-four cancer.

Aug 18, 2026
Tinubu Support Group Kicks Off 2027 Campaign With 3,000-Man Walk News

Tinubu Support Group Kicks Off 2027 Campaign With 3,000-Man Walk

A support group backing President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 re-election bid has commenced its campaign activities with a 3,000-man solidarity walk, aimed at mobilising grassroots support and promoting the President’s administration ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Aug 18, 2026
ADC Collaborated With Accord to Defeat APC in Osun, Says Abdullahi News

ADC Collaborated With Accord to Defeat APC in Osun, Says Abdullahi

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has disclosed that it deliberately collaborated with the Accord Party during the August 15 Osun governorship election to prevent the All Progressives Congress (APC) from winning the poll. The party said defeating the APC was its primary objective, even though its candidate, Najeem Salam, did not win.

Aug 18, 2026
Obi Demands Credible 2027 Polls, Urges Nigerians to Reject Violent Politicians News

Obi Demands Credible 2027 Polls, Urges Nigerians to Reject Violent Politicians

Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, Peter Obi, has called for peaceful, issue-based campaigns ahead of the 2027 general elections and urged Nigerians to reject politicians who promote violence or violate electoral peace agreements. He also demanded an election where voters’ choices would count.

Aug 18, 2026