Tinubu Allowed Free, Fair Election That Gave Adeleke Osun Victory — Wike
Wike says Tinubu allowed a free Osun election, dismissing claims that federal power was used to influence Adeleke’s victory.
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said President Bola Tinubu allowed a free and fair election that resulted in Ademola Adeleke’s victory in the August 15 Osun State governorship poll.
Wike made the statement on Tuesday while speaking with journalists during an inspection tour of flood-affected areas in the Federal Capital Territory.
The minister dismissed allegations that the Federal Government used its influence to manipulate the election in favour of the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji.
According to Wike, Adeleke’s victory demonstrated that the Tinubu administration did not deploy federal power to frustrate opposition candidates during the election.
He argued that if the President had attempted to influence the outcome, Adeleke would not have secured victory.
“The President called him… congratulating him (Adeleke). What does it tell you? If Tinubu did not allow a free and fair election, would they have won? No!” Wike said.
The minister was responding to claims that the Federal Government had deployed its influence in Osun State to secure victory for the APC candidate.
Wike said such allegations should not be accepted without evidence, drawing from his own political experience with what he described as federal might.
“When you say force of the federal government… ask those who have survived it, though, people like me who survived federal might,” he said.
“It’s not by saying ‘they say, they say.’ It’s not true.”
Adeleke, who contested under the Accord Party, defeated Oyebamiji with 511,067 votes against the APC candidate’s 444,815 votes.
The result gave the incumbent governor a winning margin of 66,252 votes. Adeleke also won 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured 11.
Wike, however, cautioned against using the Osun election as a direct indication of what could happen during the 2027 presidential election.
He said observers should recognise the differences between off-cycle governorship elections and presidential contests, noting that political dynamics could vary significantly.
The FCT minister also addressed the recurring flooding in Abuja, warning against politicising the problem instead of tackling its underlying causes.
He said both government authorities and residents had responsibilities in addressing flooding, particularly where drainage channels and waterways had been obstructed.
Wike rejected claims that poor residents were responsible for major encroachments on waterways and restricted areas.
According to him, some structures obstructing drainage channels were owned by wealthy Nigerians and had existed for years.
He maintained that tackling Abuja’s flooding would require identifying the actual causes, enforcing development regulations and preventing unlawful construction around waterways.
Related stories
Politics
2027: ‘Peace Accord Meaningless Without Justice, Accountability’ — Adebayo
SDP presidential candidate Adewole Adebayo says peace accords cannot ensure peaceful elections without justice and accountability.
Politics
2027: Tinubu Meets Akpabio, Doguwa, Others as Presidential Campaigns Begin Today
Tinubu meets senior political figures at Aso Rock as campaigns for Nigeria’s 2027 elections officially begin Wednesday.
Politics
Osun Poll: Oyebamiji Breaks Silence, Raises Alarm Over Attacks on APC Supporters
Oyebamiji thanks APC supporters after Osun defeat, calls for calm and urges security agencies to stop alleged attacks.
Politics
2027: Tinubu Warns Politicians Against Using Ethnic, Religious Sentiments to Seek Power
Tinubu urges 2027 candidates to reject ethnic and religious politics, urging campaigns focused on ideas, policies and national development.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.