Iran blames US presence for Gulf pollution after oil spills
Iran has blamed the United States’ military presence and operations in the region for pollution in the Gulf waters following several oil spills, with Tehran calling for compensation over environmental damage it estimates at trillions of dollars.
Iran has blamed the United States’ military presence and wars in the region for pollution in the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman following several oil spills.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Esmaeil Baqaei, made the allegation on Monday while speaking at a news briefing.
“This environmental damage stems from the US military presence and the wars it has waged in the region over the past five decades,” Baqaei said.
He said the environmental damage was not solely linked to the current conflict, arguing that decades of military activity and operations had contributed to pollution in the region.
Baqaei called for the United States to be held accountable and estimated the environmental damage at “trillions of dollars”.
The comments came after an oil slick in the Strait of Hormuz reached Iran’s Qeshm Island last week, affecting beaches and an environmentally sensitive mangrove forest.
Baqaei had earlier said preliminary evidence indicated that a foreign bulk carrier was responsible for the spill and called for compensation over the damage.
Iranian officials later said the oil spill had been completely cleaned up.
The latest incident is part of a wider environmental crisis in Gulf waters, where several oil slicks have been reported amid heightened tensions involving Iran and the United States.
Reuters reported that a separate major spill near Oman, involving a grounded tanker carrying Russian crude oil, had created an oil slick estimated at about 2,000 square kilometres.
Environmental experts have warned that the spills could cause significant damage to marine ecosystems and coastal communities, while geopolitical tensions have complicated clean-up and salvage operations.
Baqaei questioned who should bear responsibility for the environmental losses, arguing that the consequences of military activity and energy transportation in the region should not be ignored.
The Iranian government has continued to demand accountability for what it describes as long-standing environmental damage to the Gulf and surrounding coastal areas.
Related stories
News
Xenophobia: Nigerian Govt to Evacuate 83 More Nigerians From South Africa Wednesday
Federal Government says 83 Nigerians will return from South Africa Wednesday as diplomatic efforts continue over Afrophobic attacks.
News
Ukum Attack: Benue People Tired of Counting Bodies — Aondoakaa
Aondoakaa urges urgent security operations in Ukum, saying Benue residents are exhausted by repeated killings, displacement and unfulfilled promises.
News
Abuja Flood: ‘Wike Definitely Worsened Problem Immensely’ — Senator Kingibe
Senator Kingibe says unchecked construction and blocked waterways have worsened Abuja flooding, blaming Wike for intensifying existing problems.
News
Hospitals Refusing to Treat Our Father, Nollywood Actor Ogogo’s Daughters Cry Out Over Stage-Four Cancer
Daughters of veteran actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, appeal for medical help after hospitals reportedly stop his cancer treatment.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.