Abuja Flood: ‘Wike Definitely Worsened Problem Immensely’ — Senator Kingibe
Senator Kingibe says unchecked construction and blocked waterways have worsened Abuja flooding, blaming Wike for intensifying existing problems.
The senator representing the Federal Capital Territory, Ireti Kingibe, has blamed increasing flooding in Abuja partly on construction activities around green spaces, flood channels, gullies and flood plains.
Kingibe made the allegation during an interview with ARISE NEWS on Monday, saying several developments approved under the current FCT administration were contrary to Abuja’s original master plan and had contributed to obstructing natural drainage routes.
According to her, she had repeatedly raised concerns with relevant FCT agencies about construction taking place in areas designated for drainage and other environmental purposes.
Kingibe cited developments around Wuse Zone 6, Asokoro and Jabi, among other locations, as examples of activities she said were affecting Abuja’s drainage infrastructure.
She alleged that some gullies and flood channels had been built upon or narrowed, reducing the ability of rainwater to flow away efficiently.
The senator also raised concerns about a residential development in Wuse Zone 6, which she said was being constructed over a sewage line, creating an unpleasant odour and potential health risks.
She maintained that Abuja was designed according to a master plan and warned that continued development of every available space could worsen flooding, particularly because of the city’s rocky terrain.
Kingibe stressed that her concerns were not motivated by her disagreements with FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, saying she had raised environmental and flooding issues before the current dispute.
She said her responsibility as a senator was to intervene whenever issues affected residents of the FCT, adding that constituents looked to their elected representatives for assistance.
While acknowledging that flooding in Abuja predated Wike’s tenure, Kingibe said successive administrations had contributed to the reduction of green spaces but argued that the situation had deteriorated considerably during the past three to four years.
“Clearly, there was an issue. It did not originate with him, but he has certainly intensified that problem considerably,” she said.
For immediate measures, Kingibe recommended clearing accumulated waste and unclogging drains before the next rainfall. She also called for comprehensive maintenance and assessment of Abuja’s sewage and drainage systems.
The senator urged the National Assembly to strengthen its oversight of the FCT and investigate the causes of the flooding rather than treating her concerns as a personal disagreement with the minister.
She called for political considerations to be set aside while authorities develop urgent short- and long-term solutions to Abuja’s recurring flooding problems.
Related stories
News
Xenophobia: Nigerian Govt to Evacuate 83 More Nigerians From South Africa Wednesday
Federal Government says 83 Nigerians will return from South Africa Wednesday as diplomatic efforts continue over Afrophobic attacks.
News
Ukum Attack: Benue People Tired of Counting Bodies — Aondoakaa
Aondoakaa urges urgent security operations in Ukum, saying Benue residents are exhausted by repeated killings, displacement and unfulfilled promises.
News
Hospitals Refusing to Treat Our Father, Nollywood Actor Ogogo’s Daughters Cry Out Over Stage-Four Cancer
Daughters of veteran actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, appeal for medical help after hospitals reportedly stop his cancer treatment.
News
Customs Names Importers Behind Seized 399 Pump-Action Rifles
Customs identifies Robert Eze and Ejiogu Godson as suspects linked to 399 rifles seized at Tin-Can Island Port.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.