DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Becomes Deadliest With Over 2,300 Deaths
The Democratic Republic of the Congo says its ongoing Ebola outbreak has killed more than 2,300 people, surpassing the 2018–2020 epidemic to become the country’s deadliest on record, with a case fatality rate of about 47 per cent.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has recorded more than 2,300 deaths from Ebola, making the current outbreak the deadliest in the country’s history, according to official figures released on Sunday, August 16.
Health authorities reported 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths as of mid-August, putting the case fatality rate at 47.0 per cent, higher than the roughly 39.6 per cent recorded during the 2014–2016 West African outbreak.
The outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, was first declared on May 15 and has since spread to six provinces, with Ituri remaining the epicentre.
The death toll has risen rapidly, with more than 1,000 of the fatalities occurring in the last three weeks alone, underscoring how quickly the virus is spreading.
UN humanitarian officials said the virus is now killing a victim every 30 minutes, calling for greater international action to contain the outbreak.
The current epidemic has already surpassed the 2018–2020 Kivu outbreak, which killed nearly 2,300 people out of about 3,500 recorded cases over two years.
With more than 4,900 confirmed cases and over 2,300 deaths in just over three months, the DRC outbreak is now the second deadliest Ebola epidemic ever recorded globally, behind only the 2014–2016 West African crisis that killed more than 11,000 people.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that, at its current pace, the outbreak could eclipse the West African epidemic if containment efforts are not significantly strengthened.
A key challenge is that there is currently no approved treatment or vaccine specifically for the Bundibugyo strain responsible for the current outbreak, unlike the Zaire strain, for which effective vaccines and therapeutics exist.
The rapid spread has been attributed to a combination of factors, including conflict and insecurity in eastern DRC, population movement, weak health systems, delayed case detection and limited access to affected communities.
Health agencies are revising their response strategies, scaling up surveillance, contact tracing, isolation and community engagement while seeking additional international support to curb transmission.
The outbreak has also raised fears of cross-border spread, with cases reported in Uganda and one case in France, prompting heightened screening and preparedness measures in neighbouring countries.
As the death toll continues to climb, the DRC government and international partners face mounting pressure to accelerate containment efforts, secure more resources and improve access to affected areas to prevent further escalation.
Related stories
Health
WHO: Nigeria Among 29 Nations Hit by 10,400 Healthcare Attacks in 8 Years, No One Held Accountable
The World Health Organisation says over 10,400 attacks on healthcare have been recorded globally since 2018, killing 5,700 people, with Nigeria listed among 29 affected countries and territories and zero accountability so far.
Health
Katsina Health Workers Issue 21-Day Ultimatum to Government Over Unpaid Salaries and Poor Conditions
Health workers in Katsina State, under NMA and NANNM, have given the state government 21 days to address unpaid salaries, allowances, and poor working conditions or face an indefinite strike.
Health
DR Congo Ebola Toll Hits 2,011, Nears Record as WHO Says Most Cases Going Undetected
The death toll from DR Congo's 17th Ebola outbreak has climbed to 2,011, with a 45.9% fatality rate, as WHO officials warn only about 30% of infections are being detected and a full-scale trial of an existing vaccine is now being planned.
Health
Lassa Fever: Nigeria Records 237 Deaths as Fatality Rate Rises to 23.7%
Nigeria has recorded 1,000 confirmed Lassa fever cases and 237 deaths in the first 30 epidemiological weeks of 2026, with the case fatality rate rising to 23.7 per cent, up from 18.8 per cent in the same period in 2025, the NCDC said.
Comments (0)
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before publishing. Your email is never published.