The Federal Government has ordered the immediate closure of a mining site in Zurak, Plateau State, following the death of 37 miners.
The directive was issued by the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, according to a statement released on Wednesday in Abuja by his Special Assistant on Media, Segun Tomori.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted the Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamisu Anani, as confirming that at least 37 miners died in the early hours of Tuesday, while 25 others were hospitalised. The miners were reportedly exposed to toxic gas emissions while working at an underground mining site in Zurak.
Alake stated that the affected location falls under Mining Licence 11810, operated by Solid Unit Nigeria Limited and owned by Abdullahi Dan-China. He explained that the closure was ordered to secure the area and enable a comprehensive investigation.
The minister said a team of officials and investigators, led by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Yusuf Yabo, has been deployed to determine both the immediate and underlying causes of the incident and to recommend appropriate actions. According to him, the team includes experts in mining operations, environmental compliance and artisanal mining cooperatives.
Alake noted that preliminary findings indicated the mining pit had been ceded to members of the community following demands for local participation. He added that the site was an abandoned lead mine with stored minerals capable of emitting sulphuric oxide.
He stated that the villagers were reportedly unaware of the hazardous nature of the emissions and inhaled the gas during extraction activities. The minister also provided the coordinates of Mining Licence 11810, located between longitudes 10.34.45 and 10.35.50 and latitudes 9.13.45 and 9.14.40.
Alake said further updates would be provided as investigations continue. He also extended condolences to the Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, describing the incident as a tragic loss of lives.

